We are seeking a Senior RF system engineer to join our network team with a strong heritage and hands-on experience of all fundamental RF aspects supporting UNIO’s operational networked constellation design.
You will be a key contributor to the UNIO constellation RF systems architecture in a multi-functional team of R&D and product validation engineers. RF systems engineer provides RF expertise in design, simulation and analysis, characterization, integration, and test.
• Avionics subject matter expert for spacecraft communications networks.
You will develop the RF architecture by leading trade studies and determining the technologies UNIO should invest in long-term
• Accountability of product acceptance and space environment qualification (thermo-mechanical, shock, TVac, EMI/EMC) supported by the extended avionics test team
• Develop, design, integrate, and test operational prototypes
• Specialized skillset within the RF amplifier, PLL, antenna and system design domains including integration of RF sub-systems into larger system-of-systems
• Actively collaborate with flight software, on-board computing, and other subsystem subject matter experts on overall constellation system needs and constraints
• Development of concepts and requirements for future innovation • Automate testing and testing procedures
• Mentor more junior members.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Strong hands-on experience RF engineering and architectures including experience with VNAs, oscilloscopes, function generators, benchtop digital multimeters, and power supplies.
• Proven experience developing electrical circuit boards and delivering a working product.
• Intimate knowledge of signal integrity, power and grounding schemes and board layout principles
• Experience programming in Python, MATLAB, or other scripting/data analysis languages.
• Deep understanding of state-of-the-art and 3GPP communication and network protocols and standards with a demonstrated ability implementing this across space-borne assets
• Simulating end-to-end link budgets including, GT, Satellite and UT, taking into account variation in performances (Monte Carlo simulations and analyses)
• Identifying and engaging with traditional, New Space and state-of-the-art suppliers and integrating solutions providers
• Hands-on testing hardware fluency using VSGs, VSAs, NWA, Oscilloscopes
• Writing automated test scripts allowing for rapid testing
• Responsible for the end-to-end system-of-systems constellation simulation budgets, using optimized waveforms meeting UNIO’s high-performance mission requirements
• Able to reconcile simulations and tests
• Driving new product developments within the organisation
• Frequently communicating status updates
• Preparing test plans, outlining test methodologies for automated testing
Excellence in dealing with ambiguity, bringing your experience to fill in the gaps, problem solving and the ability to seamlessly navigate complex organizations with pivotal shifts
• Solid knowledge of Analogue and Digital communication systems, modulation techniques and mixed signal design
• Very strong experience across all aspects of RF communications, EIRP, G/T, impedance mismatches, gains and associated interdependencies
• Running simulations of the constellation system architecture using ADS or Systemvue or Simulink
• Simulating variations using Monte Carlo analysis
• Strong hands-on experience of amplifiers, phase shifters, filters, PLL, mixers, etc that will allow selection of the right product
• Understanding of interoperability, EMC, DCDC converters, micro-controllers, FPGA
• Experience in PCB design / layout and a well-honed ability to troubleshoot weakness and blind spots • Working closely with other members of the team implementing and executing hardware and software developments
Nice to have skills:
• Depth of understanding of LTE concepts such as DL/UL scheduling, modulation, OFDM, multi-carrier operation, LTE power control, Beamforming fundamentals, MIMO.
• Depth of experience with ongoing 3GPP Release activities is highly beneficial
• Knowledge in 4G/5G air interfaces and call processing technologies and network architecture specifically focused on Radio Access Network (RAN)
• Understanding of overall Wireless systems with emphasis on the PHY, MAC, RLC, RRC and PDCP layers
• Understanding of ultra-Reliable Low Latency Communications (uRLLC) protocols and IOT technologies including eMTC and NB-IOT
• Experience with SW development (Agile method) is beneficial
• Depth of understanding of 3GPP systems: Core and RAN networks
• Depth of understanding of HW as well as SW architecture
• 5+ years’ experience with RF communication solutions architecture
• Understanding of Design-to-Cost / Design-for-Manufacturing and high-volume production (for space applications)
• Strong communication skills and focus upon driving decisions
• Strong focus on task achievement and deliverables
• Fluent English in oral and written
- Unique opportunity to contribute directly to the future of the space industry
- Great startup environment with a fabulous network of investors and partners
- Positive company culture, empowerment, short lines of communication, visionary leadership
- Multinational team from diverse industry verticals
- Based in the heart of Munich with flexible work hours and hybrid work options
- Choose your own laptop, mobile phone and desk setup
- Competitive salary and attractive bonus scheme
We strongly believe in the power of diverse teams. We think that innovation is born through interaction and exchange of empowered people with different backgrounds. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome applications from all qualified individuals regardless of ethnicity, gender identity, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation, or age.
If this seems like the ideal challenge for you, take action today and become a member of the company that's making a difference in the world!
Apply now and join us on our mission to create positive impact. Important Note
: The position being advertised is restricted to individuals who are eligible to work within the European Union. This is due to the legal and practical considerations involved in employing individuals who may not have the appropriate work permits or visas to work in the EU. Therefore, only candidates who are currently authorized to work in the EU will be considered for this role. Proof of eligibility to work in the EU may be required during the recruitment process.