• Driving, designing and developing the architecture and engineering supporting UNIO’s dual-use service-focused Ground Segment.
• We are seeking an engaged Ground Segment Architect fluent with both compute and simulation skillsets to most effectively architect, meet and implement the satellite constellation’s service provisioning requirements across the terrestrial network maintaining low signal latencies, exceptional signal integrity, supporting the required service data rates (in line with customer SLAs), geo-localization of mobile and fixed receivers and ground stations while ensuring best-in-class signal continuity and availability.
• The Ground segment is divided into Ground stations (operations, telemetry and tele-commanding as well as bi-directional data transfer) and User Terminals (mobile and fixed assets and other customer-specific receive and transmit assets).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Simulating NTN-TN traffic handover, steering to the constellation, number of antennas, development of the global location of the ground segment planning.
• Performing coverage analyses in relation to data rates identifying satellite network coverage gaps.
• Performing interference analyses that will impact neighbouring constellations and identifying the BPE accuracy meeting requirements and maintaining maximum data rates.
• Educating the extended UNIO team and communicating simulation results, highlighting and openly communicating when issues occur.
• Working in a tightly integrated fashion with other UNIO technical and commercial team members executing business development, space segment and payload development responsibilities.
• Responsible for antenna steering / rates of change / beam forming and tracking, beam pointing errors and related interdependent variables critical for successful simulations validating throughput and beam handover timings meeting customer SLAs.
• End-to-end RF chain including (inexhaustive) satellite link budget computations
• Antenna beamwidths, terrestrial asset optimizations and antenna beam side-lobe interdependencies
• RF amplifier gains / OBO / DPD and rain fade effects, atmospheric loss computation and frequency attenuations over distance
• NTN-TN signal reception and service provisioning diversity
• Modulation, coding, forward error correction overheads (Mod/Cod and FEC) and associated optimizations
• ‘Make-before-Break’ optimizations and trade spaces
• Cloud-based flight operations and scheduling
• Implementation and maintenance of zero-trust architecture topologies
• Partner supply chain and procurement management.
• Comfortable with and able to retain focus and direction in the midst of ambiguity.
• Bringing your experience to bear filling in the gaps, problem solving, applying a keen sense and ability to navigate complex organizations with pivotal shifts across the technological landscape.
• Demonstrable and successful ground segment solution instantiation and service activation
• Strong and demonstrable experience documenting and recording analyses logging the different stages of the satellite constellation system’s ground segment solutions.
• End-to-end system testing (simulations as well as field-testing) such as feature validation, test description documentation, parameter optimization, performance analyses, test strategy creation, problem troubleshooting and data logging.
• Customer demonstrations of fielded technologies and services • Experience with simulation tools like Keysight SystemVue, Matlab, STK, LabView • Programming languages such as Python, VHDL, Java, C/C++, Perl, Ruby and/or familiarity with as well as the ability to gain fluency
Education / Background Required:
• Undergraduate Engineering degree with 5-10 years of directly related experience is required.
• Analytic mind and understanding / fluency of system computations.
• Good communicator and able to seamlessly express technical details.
• Ability to work with frequently evolving requirements and anticipating / understanding what is required to secure forward progress.
- Unique opportunity to contribute directly to the future of the space industry
- Great startup environment with a fabulous network of investors and partners
- Positive company culture, empowerment, short lines of communication, visionary leadership
- Multinational team from diverse industry verticals
- Based in the heart of Munich with flexible work hours and hybrid work options
- Choose your own laptop, mobile phone and desk setup
- Competitive salary
We strongly believe in the power of diverse teams. We think that innovation is born through interaction and exchange of empowered people with different backgrounds. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome applications from all qualified individuals regardless of ethnicity, gender identity, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation, or age.
If this seems like the ideal challenge for you, take action today and become a member of the company that's making a difference in the world!
Apply now and join us on our mission to create positive impact. Important Note
: The position being advertised is restricted to individuals who are eligible to work within the European Union. This is due to the legal and practical considerations involved in employing individuals who may not have the appropriate work permits or visas to work in the EU. Therefore, only candidates who are currently authorized to work in the EU will be considered for this role. Proof of eligibility to work in the EU may be required during the recruitment process.